When Your Roof is Damaged
If your roof is damaged by falling debris, hail, wind or other storm activity, your homeowners insurance policy could cover the cost of repair or replacement. Russell Roofing has worked closely with insurance representatives over the years and knows what is required to help move speedily and smoothly through the claims process.
Here are some tips on filing an insurance claim that can help to move the process along and get your roof restored quickly.
- Call your insurance company and notify them of the damage
- Have the following information ready when you call to file the claim:
– Location of the home
– Policyholder name
– Policy number
– Date of the storm or incident
– Time of the incident
– Cause of the damage (wind, hail, trees, etc.)
– Detailed description of the damage
- Obtain a claim number from your insurance company
- Call Russell Roofing to inspect the roof and document all damage with photographs
- Have Russell Roofing do any emergency repairs to stop the leaking
- Obtain a written estimate for repair or replacement of the roof – don’t settle for a verbal “guess” about the cost
- The insurance company will assign a claims adjustor or inspector
- Tell the insurance company that you want Russell Roofing present when the adjustor arrives to inspect the damage
- The adjustor will call to schedule a time to visit your home and inspect the roof
The final determination of the value of the claim will be made by your insurance company, based on the report from their adjustor. Chances are it will be less than you were expecting. Remember that the adjuster is trying to minimize the expense to the company. The age of your roof should not be a determining factor on the size of the claim. Most policies state “replace with like kind and quality.” If the shingles are 12 years old, how do we replace them with 12 year old shingles? This figure can sometimes be negotiated. There are also options to hire a public adjuster who will work on your behalf to dispute the claim amount.
Russell Roofing can help you by providing a detailed damage report and a detailed repair/replacement estimate. Once we are under contract as your contractor of choice, we may have more leverage with your insurance company to get the full cost.nces.
“Because I will be installing solar on my roof, I needed a complete tear-off of the existing 4 layers and a new roof with a long life that would require little maintenance. I needed a reputable firm. Russell was outstanding. The project manager Travis was right on time; he was very knowledgeable, always responsive, and helped me decide between materials. The price seemed reasonable. A full crew, trucks, materials showed up right on-time. Marc, the crew leader, had years of experience, and the team seemed to do a great job. (I haven't been up on the top roof, but watched some of the install of a lower roof).”
“After consulting with many roofing companies about a bad leak that was destroying one of my bedrooms, Vince at Russell Roofing helped me to get a new roof quickly. He took time to explain everything about the material that would be used and all steps of the job. Mark, the foreman of the Russell roofing crew at my house was great. The cleanup was top notch. Actually my yard looked better after they were done! I recommend this company highly.”
“I had Russell Roofing replace a leaking skylight together with the section of roof the skylight was located on. At the same time they replaced my garage roof. I worked with their estimator Mike Stefani who was great to deal with and kept me up to date as to when the job was going to start.
I'm totally satisfied with the crew that did the work... They worked hard, did a great job and was impressed with how thorough they cleaned up everyday.”