The Roofing Process
What to Expect When Replacing Your Philadelphia Roofing System.
The process of replacing an existing roof may seem overwhelming. But Russell Roofing has been replacing tired, old roofs with safe, secure new roofing systems for over two decades. We have a proven process that makes the work go smoothly and quickly.
- Inspection and Estimate– We perform a free visual inspection and identify problem areas on your roof. If possible we’ll outline repairs that could extend the life of the roof without replacement. But if your roof is too far gone we’ll provide a detailed written estimate for replacement.
- Permitting– Upon acceptance of our estimate we’ll begin the process of obtaining all the necessary permits for the work from the applicable municipal authorities.
- Scheduling– We’ll prepare a target start date and estimated completion schedule. Many residential roofs can be completed in just one or two days. And most roofing activities can continue in varied weather conditions.
- Before we arrive– Please remove paintings and photos from interior walls, cover your belongings in the attic, and secure items on shelves.
- Remove existing roof– Before putting a new roof on, we must tear the old one off. This can be somewhat noisy and messy, but we take steps to minimize the disruption and protect trees and shrubbery. All debris is collected and disposed of in an environmentally responsible manner.
- Repair any sun roof damage– We’ll inspect your roof deck and repair or replace any loose, missing or damaged sections with your approved change order.
- Install substrate, include ice and water shield and underlayment– The first layer of your new roof is very important for its overall performance.
- Install flashings around roof transitions such as the chimneys, skylights, and vents– Flashing is a metal transition that is installed to prevent water from entering the living space.
- Install quality shingles, tiles, slate or metal roofing and a ventilation system– Proper ventilation is essential to the health of your roof and we strongly recommend proper intake and exhaust ventilation. Russell Roofing does not use powered nail guns, instead we affix all roofing shingles using hand nailing for quality and durability.
- Clean up– We take great care to clean up after ourselves, including collecting all loose roofing nails using a magnet.
- Final visual inspection– The job is not done until you are satisfied!
On Site Forman
Pluming vent Pipe
Shingle Accessory Installation
“Because I will be installing solar on my roof, I needed a complete tear-off of the existing 4 layers and a new roof with a long life that would require little maintenance. I needed a reputable firm. Russell was outstanding. The project manager Travis was right on time; he was very knowledgeable, always responsive, and helped me decide between materials. The price seemed reasonable. A full crew, trucks, materials showed up right on-time. Marc, the crew leader, had years of experience, and the team seemed to do a great job. (I haven't been up on the top roof, but watched some of the install of a lower roof).”
“After consulting with many roofing companies about a bad leak that was destroying one of my bedrooms, Vince at Russell Roofing helped me to get a new roof quickly. He took time to explain everything about the material that would be used and all steps of the job. Mark, the foreman of the Russell roofing crew at my house was great. The cleanup was top notch. Actually my yard looked better after they were done! I recommend this company highly.”
“I had Russell Roofing replace a leaking skylight together with the section of roof the skylight was located on. At the same time they replaced my garage roof. I worked with their estimator Mike Stefani who was great to deal with and kept me up to date as to when the job was going to start.
I'm totally satisfied with the crew that did the work... They worked hard, did a great job and was impressed with how thorough they cleaned up everyday.”